I’m not a real fan of sushi, but I enjoy trying out new recipes and adding my own twist to them. This week, I decided to try Sushi with Quinoa instead of rice, and ate it with Hot and Spicy Maggi Sauce and a little bit of soy sauce! Recipe below!
- Nori sheets (I got a 10 pack from a local grocery store for $4.14)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 ripe Avocado
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 clove of garlic
- Wasabi Powder/pre-made sauce
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Hot and Spicy Maggi Sauce**** Completely optional
- Begin by making the Quinoa, place 1 cup of Quinoa in a pan and boil in 2 cups of water. It takes about 10 minutes for the Quinoa to be completely cooked.
- During the wait, peel and slice the carrot, cucumber, and avocado.
- When the Quinoa is ready, in another pan, pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 minced clove of garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and black pepper.
- After about 30 seconds of cooking the garlic, or until they golden brown, mix in the cooked quinoa on low heat so the flavor settles in. Make sure the Quinoa doesn’t burn!
- Take one Nori sheet and lay it on a flat surface, take a scoop of quinoa and spread it on the Nori sheet leaving about one inch at one end of the sheet.
- place a few slices of Cucumber, Carrot, and Avocado in the middle of the sheet.
- You can roll the sheet with your hands (which I had no problem doing), or you can buy a bamboo mat to aid in the rolling of the nori sheet. Video link to rolling Sushi
- Once you have rolled the sushi, cut the roll into even slices.
- Repeat these steps with as many sheets as you need, according to how many rolls you need to make!
- If you bought Wasabi powder, take a tablespoon of the powder and mix 1/2 teaspoon of water and mix. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes to allow the flavor to settle.
- Serve Sushi with Soy Sauce, Wasabi, and any other sauce of your choice! ( I loved it with Maggi hot and sweet sauce).